Modern Foreign Languages (MfL)
Sarum St Paul’s School believes that the learning of a foreign language provides a valuable educational, social and cultural experience for the pupils. Pupils develop communication and literacy skills that lay the foundation for future language learning. They develop linguistic competence, extend their knowledge of how language works and explore differences and similarities between the foreign language and English. Learning another language raises awareness of the multi-lingual and multi-cultural world and introduces an international dimension to pupils’ learning, giving them an insight into their own culture and those of others. The learning of a foreign language provides a medium for cross-curricular links and for reinforcement of knowledge, skills and understanding developed in other subjects.
Through teaching MFL we aim:
- to give children a positive, enthusiastic attitude to MFL learning within a secure and supportive environment
- to foster an interest in learning other languages
- to introduce young children to another language in a way that is enjoyable and fun
- to stimulate and encourage children’s curiosity about language
- to encourage children to be aware that language has structure, and that the structure differs from one language to another
- to help the children develop their awareness of cultural differences in other countries
- to promote positive attitudes towards cultural diversity and global awareness
- to develop their speaking, listening, reading and writing skills
- to lay the foundations for future study
- to extend our language teaching beyond mother tongue learning
- to raise staff awareness of and competence in MFL
'My daughter loves her Spanish lessons - they are an absolute highlight of her week, and I so enjoyed doing them with her over lockdown. It is such a pleasure to see how skilled Mrs Lawes is in engaging the students and developing their interest in languages.. it is so important that students get a good grounding at primary and learn to appreciate the language and culture of other countries.' - KS2 parent.
MfL PLANNING 2021-2023
OUR SCHOOL ENVIRONMENT
Each year our MfL lead organises whole school themed days to celebrate languages. We come together a take part in a variety of activities to celebrate either French, German or Spanish. These opportunities really enhance our MfL teaching and inspire pupils (and staff!) across the school.
Theme days include:
2021/22 - Bastille Day
2020/21 - Spanish Fiesta!
2019/20 - Oktoberfest
2018/19 - Eurovision
Enjoy learning some Spanish with Mrs Lawes:
`My son absolutely loved Spanish during lockdown. It was often the only part of school work we could get him to be enthusiastic about.'
Enjoy learning some French with Mrs Lawes: