Free School Meals
Did you know that registering your child for free school meals means that the school gets extra money?
The Government is giving money to schools to help children from lower income families do their very best. This funding is called a ‘Pupil Premium’. In the academic year 2014/15, for every child registered the school received £900. Examples of how this money was spent include:
- Purchasing specialist support, audit of provision, developing the vision
- CPD for key staff
- Developing a creative curriculum
- Resources to support inclusion, software focused on specific needs
- Purchase of technology resources for individuals, existing, new and emerging
- Developing strategies for engaging children and parents in and out of school
- Developing collaboration, support or mentoring projects
- Supporting the work of schools, governors, staff and parents on e-safety
- Subsidy of school clubs, specialist teachers to promote engagement
Who is entitled to free school meals?
Free school meals are not provided automatically. They can be awarded if you receive any of the following:
- Income Support
- Job Seeker's Allowance (income-based)
- Employment and Support Allowance (income-related)
- support under part six of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit - providing you are NOT entitled to Working Tax Credit and your family's annual income (as assessed by HMRC) is not more than £16,190 (as at 6 April 2012)
- Working Tax Credit 'run-on' - the payment you may receive for a further four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
If you are receiving Working Tax Credit you are not entitled to free school meals, regardless of your income. The exception is during the four-week 'run on' period when you may have stopped qualifying for but are still receiving payment of Working Tax Credit.
Please remember you must qualify and register for the free school meals for the school to receive the extra money even if you do not want your child to have the free school meals.
Please register as soon as possible to make sure your child and others in their class don’t miss out.
Free School Meals Application Form